Modifiers of the Building Envelope or Enclosure
News of Green Building
Join our email list here.Green Building Directory
Examples of Envelope
1. A roof overhang modifies the amount of rain on the wall below. It is a microclimate modifier for the vertical portion of the building enclosure.
2. An attached garage is not conditioned indoor space nor does it experience outdoor conditions. Rather it incorporates both the exterior wall of the house and the garage wall, with the space between containing the car and other objects stored in the garage as an integral part of the enclosure.
3. In conditioned room (s) over a garage or carport, the garage ceiling would be considered part of the building envelope and changes in that ceiling will modify the envelope.
4. Ivy growing on a masonry wall are part of the envelope and significant impact on moisture and other loadings.
5. Adjacent buildings are also modifiers.
Other components such as lights and stoves plus space contents also modify the interior environment and thus the comfort of the user.
Thermal Envelope: The building enclosure may contain the thermal envelope--the term that refers to the thermal insulation within the building enclosure. The thermal envelope and the building envelope are not always the same.
Contact Terry Jensen at 972 251-1532 or 817 545-0140.
Renewable Energy Web
DFW Net Mall Homepage
More Green Building
Renewable Energy in DFW
Copyright © 2006-2009 DFW Green Building and Renewable Energy. All rights reserved.